Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Feminism Fantastica


Blog Question: What is the legacy of “Thelma & Louise” in 2009? Is this film relevant today or is just another relic from the gender wars of the past?
I have a feeling that this blog will bring out my inner feminist, which although has a largely negative connotation, I have to remind myself often that being a “feminist” is absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. The term feminist dates back to the women who worked for women’s suffrage. Not only should I be damn proud to lump myself in with those astounding women, I should feel that I am hardly worthy of that title. That tangent aside, I would like to talk about “Thelma & Louise.”

There are many aspects of “Thelma & Louise” that I find very relevant in 2009. Although the movie was dated, with a young studly Brad Pitt, and, let’s be honest, Susan Sarandon does not look that young anymore, I think that all of the major issues are still very real in the lives of women (and some men) today. Let’s start with the first hiccup; the attempted rape. The issue of rape, specifically with reporting rape, is still very much around today. Many women feel that they can’t report for the same reason Thelma couldn’t. No one would believe her and even if they did, the finger would be pointed at her. Now I’m not here to debate the epic battle of men vs. woman, and I will openly admit that men deal with some of these same issues, and even to a different extreme, but today I will limit myself to a specific gender discussion revolving around “Thelma & Louise.”

There are many similarities and differences that exist between “Thelma & Louise” and The Handmaid’s Tale. Both women had appointed roles in their society that they were expected to fulfill. Offred to be a Handmaid and provide babies for unproductive high society wives. In the same way, Thelma is expected to stay at home, clean, cook, look pretty and wait on her husband hand and foot. When Thelma drinks and dances, she is expected to “put-out.” Louise plays the role of the raped and wounded, bitter, unmarried woman. If she’s single at her age there must be something wrong with her, at least that’s what society says, and the role that Louise fulfills. However, there are some differences. For example as it was at the time and is even more so now, woman have some choice as to what role they fill in society. We can choose to be single or married, have kids or not have kids. However, the Handmaid’s had no choice. They were appointed into roles given certain circumstances that existed in their lives prior to the creation of the new class system.

I think that Thelma and Louise, although it could never be as great as this version, especially because it was on the verge of the new feminist movement. This movie is a classic and I hope that they don’t mess with it.

Beth Goin

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post. I agree with your major points. There are several "creepy" moments in this film, especially the scene where the Harvey Keitel law enforcement figure is laughing with the "gang" about how to treat women.

    ReplyDelete