Tuesday, March 31, 2009

aWW-some



The question if this film is still relevant I believe is a yes, a resounding yes. It was cleverly done and while a lot of the movie I did roll my eyes or fail to see what would be liberating about just getting into a car and driving. I have done it several times and across complete states. When watching the movie I thought it had been done maybe in the 1980’s sometime it just seemed like a world apart, even though we found out they were from Arkansas but still the whole movie seemed alien to me. Why wouldn’t women be believed, why wouldn’t they be able to drive somewhere to go fishing. I thought the fishing premise was weird I only know one girl who likes fishing and even then she goes to get a tan. The fact a woman wouldn’t be believed by the cops or the whole premise of “she was asking for it” I mean that is what struck me as when was this thing made. Granted I were only four when this movie came out but the world I grew up in was nothing like that portrayed in the movie. The whole movie would have been over 30 minutes in had they just went to the police station and said what had happened, the movie deals with a lot of prejudices; women feeling/treated as second class citizens, women being subservient to their husbands, women lacking overall freedom. The movie revolves around all these ideas, the women themselves though were either blasé and air-headed or hard and cold. So the characters in my opinion are not what I picture or know most women to necessarily to be, so this movie has a lot of built in prejudices that help to keep this movie going. This movie also takes a weird turn when they decide to turn into paladins. So was the person exposed to get from that if woman have too much freedom look at what happens; tankers for some odd reason blow up, people get shot at, stores get robbed and police officers are held captive. I mean this movie just jerks you around from one spectrum to the other and maybe that was what it was going for. We cannot forget the easy going, honest, trusting cop because police officers don’t hold grudges at all they don’t have their own baggage they bring to the job. When answering the question is this movie still relevant, I feel you would have to defer the question to a woman since the movie was based on them. From looking around the room from time to time you could see girls in the class enjoying themselves and paying attention so I believe the movie still does have some relevance. I think it is a shame it does because it means there are still some prejudices out there and those I believe need to be removed. The movie I am sure served its purpose when it was out and opened people’s eyes but it seemed that many things in the movie were relics of the past. Robert Foster

No comments:

Post a Comment